If you know the entity requiring you to get a bond, that is the entity you will need to file your official paperwork with. These entities are formally known as the bond's "obligee." 

Most bonds need to be signed by you, the bond's "principal," before they can be filed. Some obligees accept digital bond paperwork with digital signatures while others require original, physical signatures made with an ink pen. Signature requirements are always set by the obligee, so you'll want to verify exactly who they want to sign your bond with them to avoid any potential signature errors. 

Bond filing requirements are always set by the obligee. Depending on who your obligee is, you might be able to submit your official bond paperwork digitally on a website or by email. Many obligees still require physical bonds that have a raised seal imprint and have been clearly signed with an ink pen. Sometimes these bonds can be filed by mail. Some obligees require all official bond paperwork be filed in person. Again, you'll want to verify with your specific obligee how exactly they'd like you to file. 

A few bonds (such as Business Service Bonds, ERISA Bonds, and Tax Preparer Bonds in California) don't have to be formally filed with anybody, so you'll just need to store your official bond paperwork somewhere safe so you can easily find it if needed. 

If you have questions about how to sign or file your bond, call 1 (800) 308-4358 or email customercare@suretybonds.com, and one of our representatives will be happy to walk you through your bond filing instructions.